06 July 2010

10 Best Storytelling Songs in Hip Hop

From vicious rumors and celebrity gossip to old country folk tales and campfire chatter, everybody has a story to tell these days. Throughout the history of hip hop, many artists have tried their hand at telling stories, both fiction and non-fiction, through song. In this day and age, the ability to successfully construct an intriguing story is a lost art. Creativity and lyricism has given way to unimaginative chords and auto-tuned voices. While this new wave of music dominates the Billboard charts, it remains unseen as to whether or not it can stand the test of time. Nevertheless, one thing is certain: there is longevity in a good story. Here are some artists who have mastered the art of storytelling.

1. Ice Cube - It Was a Good Day

Ice Cube recounts an unusually pleasant day in South Central Los Angeles with his smooth, laid back west coast flow. This song has stood the test of time— a true hip-hop classic.

Quotable Line: “Get me on the court and I’m trouble/ Last week f*cked around and got a triple double.”

2. Eminem – Stan (featuring Dido)

This is undoubtedly one of Eminem’s greatest works—brilliant, in fact. He narrates the artist-fan connection from both perspectives, and adds a rather disturbing twist at the very end.

Quotable Line: “It’s been six months and still no word, I don’t deserve it?/ I know you got my last two letters, I wrote the addresses on them perfect.”

3. Common – Testify

High drama in the courtroom as Common explains the court case: murder, gun possession, and cocaine distribution. Sounds like an open and shut case, but is justice ultimately served? The plot thickens in the final verse.

Quotable Line: “All that speakin’ her mind, testifyin’, and cryin’/ When this b*tch did the crime, the queen pin.”

4. Lupe Fiasco – The Cool

Lupe Fiasco had a lot to prove on his debut album, Food and Liquor, and he certainly delivered on this track with a clever concept. Who knew following a risen-from-the-dead hustler could be so poetic and interesting?

Quotable Line: “Put it to his head and said, ‘you’re scared, ain’t ya?’/ He said, ‘hustler for death, no heaven for a gangsta.’”

5. Mos Def – Ms. Fat Booty

Mighty Mos Def breaks it down and recounts an out of the ordinary relationship with a girl he met at the club. Which is more shocking: the fact that he caught feelings for a groupie or that she leaves him for another girl?

Quotable Line: “I’d seen her on the ave, spotted her more than once/ A** so fat that you could see it from the front.

6. Kanye West – Through the Wire

In 2002, Kanye West was involved in a near fatal car accident, which left him with a broken jaw that had to be wired shut. ‘Ye drew inspiration from his brush with death and turned it into the first of his many successful singles.

Quotable Line: “The doctor said I had blood clots, but I ain’t Jamaican man/ Story on MTV, and I ain’t tryin’ to make a band/ I swear this right here, history in the making man.

7. Carl Thomas – I Wish

Carl Thomas tells the story of a man who develops a deep connection with the woman of his dreams. But the only problem is that she’s married with children! I understand why he wishes he never met her…

Quotable Line: “Long days and nights we spent/ Until she dropped the bomb on me.

8. Jay-Z – December 4th

Shawn Carter was born on December 4th, weighing in at 10 lbs. 4 oz., and I guess you can say the rest is history. Jay-Z explains in three verses how he got into the rap game. I’d say he’s done pretty well for himself.

Quotable Line: “If you can’t respect that, you’re whole perspective is wack/ Maybe you’ll love me when I fade to black…”

9. Notorious B.I.G. – I Got A Story to Tell

Imagine finding yourself in a situation like this: your jumpoff’s significant other arrives home early. Yikes! If anything, the moral of the story is do your dirt elsewhere, and more importantly, be aware that the rewards are seldom worth the risk.

Quotable Line: “Yeah, tote the chrome for situations like this/ I’m up in his broad and I know he won’t like this.

10. Damian Marley – Pimpa’s Paradise (featuring Stephan Marley)

One of many great songs by Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley. With the help of his brother, he paints a sad picture we’ve all seen or heard about before: a beautiful girl destroyed by drug addiction. Take ‘em to church, Jr. Gong.

Quotable Line: “Cause coke was a thing that once she first try/ Was once a blue moon to once a blue sky.

20 comments:

  1. Beautifully done Jballz. But where is "What Would You Do?" by City High?!?!?!?!?!?@#$

    (no but really...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. immortal technique's dancing with the devil should def be on that list!

    i dont really like them but most of peppers songs are one continous story one after another. dudes good just not my style of music

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow dude this isn't a good list at all.
    -Dance with the Devil immoratal tech
    -I gave you power -nas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous20 July, 2011

    wow no kool g rap?? terrible list by the way

    ReplyDelete
  5. knowmads - the river runs deep

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was
    just curious if you get a lot of spam feedback?
    If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can advise?
    I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any support is very much appreciated.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage ... Methadoneclinicsnear.Com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good website you have here but I was wanting to know if
    you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about here?
    I'd really love to be a part of online community where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Appreciate it!

    my homepage potty training tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. Нi there! Dο you uѕe Twitter?
    I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm absolutely
    enjoying уour blog and looκ forward to nеw posts.


    Feel free to visіt my web-site: Electronic Cigarettes Best

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy
    on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.
    Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Superb work!



    my homepage; diaper sizes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey thеre! Someonе іn mу Facebоοk group shared thіs ωebsіte with
    us so Ι сame tο tаke a looκ.
    I'm definitely loving the information. I'm booκ-marking and ωill be tωeeting
    this to my followеrs! Wonԁerful blog and
    оutstanding desіgn.

    Alѕo visit my page ... lightest running shoes ever

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of
    the pictures aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure
    why but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

    my weblog ... Vera Wang Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Do you usе Tωitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm undoubtedly еnϳoying your blog and lоok forward to new updates.


    Here is my web-sіte: Best Electronic Cigarettes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey I know this iѕ οff topic but I wаs wοnderіng if you
    κnew of any wiԁgets I could add tо my
    blog that automatically tweеt mу newest tωіtter updates.

    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    Feel free to visit my web page ... Smokeless Cigarettes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! I realize this is kind of off-topic but I had to ask.
    Does running a well-established blog such as yours take a large
    amount of work? I'm completely new to operating a blog however I do write in my diary every day. I'd like to start a blog so I can share my own experience and views online.

    Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for
    new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

    Here is my blog post; army green cargo pants

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there would you mind sharing which blog platform
    you're working with? I'm going to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a difficult time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm
    looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

    Take a look at my weblog ... garnier dark spot corrector coupon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
    Any suggestions?

    Feel free to surf to my site ... mens black cargo pants

    ReplyDelete
  17. Admiring the dedication you put into your site
    and detailed information you provide. It's nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same out of
    date rehashed material. Excellent read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.


    Visit my webpage - Cummins for sale
    my site: dodgecumminsforsale.org

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; we have developed some nice practices and we are looking to exchange strategies with other
    folks, why not shoot me an email if interested.

    Feel free to visit my homepage - 7th grade math worksheets

    ReplyDelete
  19. Howdy! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new apple iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the outstanding work!

    My web site :: http://www.worldofgreentea.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ιt іs ρеrfect time to mаκe
    а few planѕ for thе longeг term and іt іs tіme tο be haррy.
    Ι've read this post and if I could I want to counsel you few fascinating things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles regarding this article. I wish to read even more issues approximately it! Green coffee bean Extract - green coffee extract benefits - green coffee bean extract

    Here is my web site; pure green coffee bean extract au

    ReplyDelete