19 January 2010

An Excursion to the Wilderness

Last week my classmates and I embarked on a trip to the Claybrook Mountain and Flagstaff Lake area located halfway between Waterville, Maine and the Canadian border. We set out to survey the land and research the ecological aspects of the area. It was a unique experience that I can say I did once upon a time. I don't think I would do it again, however. Strenuous outdoor activities, especially in Maine in the middle of January, do not excite me very much. But anyway, check out my adventures below.
I had to get fitted for snow shoes before heading out to the mountain. I prefer the older looking snow shoes rather than the newer ones fabricated from titanium, aluminum, and plastic. There's just something about the wood and the leather weave that gives me that rustic, roughing-it-in-the-mountains feeling.
This is an antique stove from the kitchen of the lodge. It is fully functional believe it or not. One of the many things that contributed to the quaint charm of Drummond's Claybrook Mountain Lodge.
My winter ecology professor, Herb Wilson-- dude has stripes.
Greetings from my igloo. I only lasted a few hours in there before I got claustrophobic and had a mini panic attack. Laugh all you want but it was like sleeping in a coffin... all I could think about was how uncomfortable I was and which ravenous creatures were waiting outside to eat me.
We often had visitors at dusk and dawn.
My igloo! Took a few hours to build but turned out to be a rewarding process. I'll keep this experience with me for the rest of my life.
The buck board-- Greg Drummond, our trail guide and host, has his name up there quite a few times. He's offed a buck or two in his lifetime that's for sure.
Vintage snow shoes. I feel like these should be on the wall at an Abercrombie & Fitch store somewhere. Nonetheless, I still think they are pretty dope.
About halfway through our seemingly never ending snow shoe hike through the mountain trail, we stopped for lunch. Greg cooked up beef and veggie hot dogs with onions for the group. Needless to say I went in-- 3 beef dogs, 1 veggie dog, 2 brownies, 2 Capri Suns, and a chocolate bar... I'm not bashful when I'm hungry.
My snow shoes. I couldn't have walked almost 10 miles in the fresh powder without you!
On the last day we came across this river on our way to one of our research areas. A thin layer of fog was rising from the surface of the water when we got there. A beautiful sight to see.
Flagstaff Lake was frozen over! Yup, it was cold. Maine, baby. Soak it in!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you
    happen to be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and
    will often come back down the road. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great posts, have a nice holiday
    weekend!

    my website; Bruchgold verkaufen

    ReplyDelete